Monday, May 9, 2011

Chip and Dale??


So let's talk about squirrels...I know, random right? Well these sweet, cuddly little critters are so fun to watch as they run across the road or collect acorns, adorable...not so much! These little buggers are vicious, coniving, and sneaky! I am soooo done with squirrels!!!!!! Let me just let you in on what we have been going through the past week!
We recently discovered that one of these darling little squirrels was with child...er children, she was looking for a place to build her nest. Instead of making a nest in the GINORMOUS tree in front of my house, she decided that the best thing to do was to make a hole in my house to make a nest and have her little rat babies!!!! We found this out too late! So we decided to get one of those crazy ladders that were on an info-mercial in the 90's or something. One of those ladders that can convert and contort into like 135 different ways.(we have so many tall places in our house, we totally needed a 22' ladder!)
We had a handy-man come over to see if he could close the hole. He said that we would need to capture the squirrels befor we could repair the hole. So I called the city and they brought a cage over...I know this thing is legit!
So I didn't think that we could successfully catch the squirrels if the cage was on the ground, so I put the cage on the roof. I set up this mother of a ladder all by myself!!
I baited the cage with the squirrels favorite, sunflower seeds and nuts, and slowly descended from the ladder. I didn't think that it would be safe to leave the ladder leaning against my house, so I wanted to collapse the ladder. These ladders slide into themselves so it makes about a 10' ladder. Well, this was the first time I had ever used this ladder....and I slid the ladder from the roof into itself...and right on to my big toe!!!!!
I'm not sure if I broke it or not, but it was instantly black and blue and it flippin HURT!!!!! My kids didn't know what to say! I was kinda freakin out! So crazy! I can't believe I didn't loose my toe! I have been limping and my toe was soooo swollen! You take for granted things like, a big toe, until something goes wrong...be grateful for your working toes!!! Well long story short, we caught a total of 6 squirrels over the course of the weekend and the hole is now clear of varmits!!!!!! Wally has plans of repairing the hole tomorrow, so hopefully there won't be any more mishaps!!! Isn't homeowner-ship grand?

1 comment:

Meredith Rotz said...

Ouch!!! I don't dare get near a ladder like that...too complicated for me! You are a brave woman!